Sunday, October 9, 2011

My Affair with HBO

Happy Sunday!!!

I have to work today but I wanted to share some of the things that made me reside in my pajamas and ignore my chores yesterday!

HBO - oh how I love thee!!! Now when Tom and I got married, we agreed that HBO was a need not a want. Boxing, documentaries, incredible series....yep, we NEEDED all of those things ;) While laying in bed justifying my laziness restful state, I viewed two documentaries that could only be described as nothing short of impressive, moving, riveting, and enlightening!!

The first was called "The Strange History of Don't Ask, Don't Tell". The documentary is about the history of the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, the effect of this policy on gay and lesbian service members, and the fight to have DADT repealed. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this and learning more about this particular issue. I was shocked to learn that many veterans were discharged from the military despite serving honorably for many years, going to war, and received medals of commendation. The interviews with Lt. Col. Victor Fehrenbach and Col. Margarethe Cammermeyer about how their careers were abruptly ended because of this policy are really eye-opening and sobering.
I would like to say that I was thoroughly disgusted with some of the behavior of those featured in this film, including a certain AZ politician I once considered voting for. I am saddened by the fact that we as a country still feel justified in denying our citizens basic human rights. I am not asking you to support/agree with someone's lifestyle but I am demanding that you treat them with dignity and respect.

The second documentary was called "I Can't Do This But I CAN Do That: A Film for Families About Learning Differences". As a mother of a child with physical challenges, this really struck a chord with me. The Princess doesn't have any issues with expressing when she needs assistance/is feeling frustrated/etc so I know I can have a conversation with her at virtually any time (except when Transformers or X-Men is on! If I interrupt either one of those, I could be subject to physical harm! lol). Some of the children in this film shared how difficult it was for them to express the challenges they were facing in school because of their learning style. When they shared how they were treated by other children and school staff...at times, I felt like my heart was breaking. I loved that those in the documentary used the phrases "learning difference". I don't like the word "disability" - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth so I very rarely use it! When people label someone with a "disability", expectations for that individual drop and they are often cast aside. I think we need to support children in their difference learning styles. No child should be made to feel ashamed, stupid, or unworthy because their brain processes information differently than another child!!

I will now step off of my soapbox, take a deep cleansing breath, and wish you all a wonderful rest of the day! :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I would say your restful HBO day was well needed for that kind of education!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. I totally agree with you. I hate the word "disability" too, your right it often does drop expectations. Really we all have the ability to do something great, regardless of our own personal trials or struggles. No one should feel like they can't accomplish something! Love.

    ReplyDelete