Friday, December 28, 2012

The Rest of the Story....

Picking up where we left off.... :)

Tom and I sat at Red Robin, dissecting the pictures he had taken and analyzing what had taken place when my class took the stage. Now let me tell you that I absolutely hate to go out in public after prejudging. I hate it because I'm stinky, sticky, black as tar (thank you, Pro Tan) but my hatred went away after receiving a text from The Boss saying I could have a burger (no bun!) and a Diet Coke   #thankyousweetbabyjesus

We decided to stop picking things apart, enjoy our food, and head back to the hotel because Saturday was going to be a busy busy day! I was scheduled to shoot with the most AMAZING photographer - Ana from Urban Chick Foto!

Ana and I met on siouxcountry back in 2010 and I shot with her for the first time later that year (you can see those photos here). Now, by no means do I claim to be a model. In fact, I'm the complete opposite of one but Ana has a way of making you feel like a million bucks when she's pointing her camera at you.



We decided that we would do the shoot at the show's venue and it proved to be the perfect place! It's so much fun to watch Ana at work. The three of us would be walking and chatting when she would stop and say "This spot is perfect" and the posing would begin!




Tom hates to have his picture taken but I was able to convince him to strike a pose with me for a couple of pictures. I told him we needed concrete proof that we know how to dress like grown-ups and that we do, in fact, own clothes other than gym clothes!  *if you would like to see the rest of the pictures from the shoot, please visit Ana's blog!







Once the photo shoot was over, Tom and I headed back to the hotel to eat and rest. The "resting" only lasted about 45 minutes as we were bored with the food we brought with us and the hotel room!

I still dream about this salad!!
We went for a stroll and took that time as an opportunity to check in with The Princess who was staying with her grandparents. The Urban Picnic was calling our name and we gave each other a high-five for deciding to take a chance on the restaurant. I highly recommend it if you're ever in Mesa! Once we filled our bellies, it was time to head back to the hotel and put my feet until the athlete's meeting.

photo credit
photo credit

I have always said that shows are a bunch of hurry up & wait and this show was no different. Each competitor is introduced individually and those competing in divisions that require a routine (fitness, physique, and bodybuilding) each perform a 60 second routine.

photo credit
photo credit
photo credit
photo credit

To pass the time backstage, I chatted with some of the other competitors (everyone is a bit more relaxed and friendly at finals versus prejuding), listened to my music, and just tried to be still. At the show's intermission, the names of those who placed in the top 5 of their class were posted downstairs (the dressing rooms for the female athletes were upstairs). I hid in a bathroom stall freshened up my makeup and finally got the guts to walk downstairs to see what the verdict was. As I was heading to the posting, a girl from my class walked past me, smiled, and congratulated me on making top 5! I had just enough time to run back up the stairs, send a text to Tom & The Boss saying "Top 5, baby", and touch up my glaze before the show's expediter was asking Figure Class D to line up.

As we stood backstage, I looked at the other girls of the top 5 and knew I had accomplished what I had set out to do. Fifth place was announced and it wasn't my number that was called. I breathed a small sigh of relief and kept smiling. Fourth place was announced and the show's MC asked number 77 to step forward. Yes....number #77...me. "Damn it!", I thought, "One spot away!"

photo credit 
photo credit
Tom and I met in the lobby and I could tell by looking at him that he was disappointed with how things turned out. I dropped my face and tried really hard not to cry. I was so upset that once again, I had let him and The Boss down.

Thank you, Thirsty Lion!
We decided not to stay for the rest of the show and hit up a restaurant that the woman sitting next to him at the show had recommended. The Thirsty Lion was just what we needed. It had tvs...music...beer...fried food...and more beer!

I wasn't as sad and pouty on Sunday as I thought I would be. It could be due to the mini-exploration trip we took, or the pancakes, or the hashbrowns, or the biscuits and gravy - it's hard to say :)


Mural we found while exploring!





I will admit that it does sting a little bit to have placed fourth at a show I was certain I was going to place higher at. Then I remember what it felt like to place dead last at the shows I competed in two years ago and suddenly, fourth place really isn't that bad.


16 comments:

  1. I loved your post. You recap was excellent. I am just smh...how could you ever feel like you let anyone down? You did well! It takes alot to compete and you have done it multiple times now. You had a beautiful photo shoot with Ana and those are pictures you will show your grandkids one day, saying yea granny was a hottie! :) I saw a saying the other day that was "Keep your head and hills high". You do the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Thank you!! I always want to do well and this time, 4th just felt a bit like a let down! :(

      Love the quote - thank you for sharing it!

      Delete
  2. I love reading along and that you let us inside. =) You looked absolutely amazing! And the Wonder Woman goblet?! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the goblet the best? I got it for my birthday from my sister-in-law! And I'm glad you enjoyed my rambling recap :)

      Delete
  3. Aw man, at first I saw your biscuits and gravy, and hallucinated seeing chicken fried steak. I'm hungry.

    Your posing looks like it has improved and MAN! I'm always so impressed by your legs!! You don't need a placing to prove that you have an incredible physique, and you do! :) Loved the recap, T!! You're amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That breakfast was so outta control...I'm hungry now just thinking about it!!!

      Thank you for the compliment on my posing! We've been working hard on it!!

      Delete
  4. What an amazing recap! You are so stunning! Can't get over it. You and hubby are a gorgeous couple.

    Sorry tha you didn't place as you wanted but you have a great attitude! See how far you've come in two years so just imagine another year.

    Besides you got all that delicious food! Certainly counts for something ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I love the pics of my hubs! He's so handsome..lol!

      Delete
  5. I loved your recap and OMG how sexy are you!?! You look AWESOME!!!! The model shoot is great. And you ARE a model if a photographer is shooting you so....there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, better quit! You know it was all photoshop ;)

      Delete
  6. Hi - I just wanted to stop by and say your photos are very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I hope you'll stop by again & stay for awhile :)

      Delete
    2. I hope to - I am visiting blogs of fit ladies for motivation :)

      Delete
  7. 4th place is awesome! Conrats! Wow that mural is very trippy... I got woozy just looking at ti!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous photo's T!!!! Love the ones in the water!
    Stopping by to say hi, it's been awhile!
    xoxo
    Roxie-Girl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post. You are absolutely stunning in all your pictures. I love the pics of you with your husband. So sweet. And that hot pink dress! You showed that dress how it should be worn! :)

    ReplyDelete