Monday, February 13, 2012

Face-to-Face with the Old Me

Chelsea and I have been friends for quite some time…possibly 5 or 6 years. Charlie, her husband, was Tom’s, my husband’s, senior firefighter when he started working for Tucson Fire Department. From the first time we met, we were instant friends. We laughed, joked, and just enjoyed each other’s company. She and I have stayed in contact over the years even when the guys have worked at different stations and we’re always super excited to see one another.

One social event we both were at in 2009 was a wedding for a fellow firefighter. Of course we laughed, drank, and had a fantastic time. Someone asked to take a picture of us and a couple of weeks ago, I saw that picture for the first time.

I’m going to share that particular picture with you shortly but I want to give you a bit of background before I do. When I left the house dressed for this wedding, I felt pretty sassy. My wig was fabulous, my eye makeup would have made an MAC makeup artist proud, and my dress was fierce. It’s amazing to me that what I felt that day is not what I see when I look at the picture below.


I look at myself in this picture and I KNOW that I’m broken, sad, and I just want to hug the woman I see in the picture.

I was unhappy. I was sad. I was depressed. I was a mess. I dealt with all of these feelings and others but eating and drinking. Crying and sharing my feelings was not an option for me. Eating a box of Little Debbie Zebra Cakes was but allowing myself to embrace my emotions was not. I often felt like the body I was living in had let me down so I had no desire to take care of it. It seemed pointless to me.

As the end of 2009 approached, I began thinking about the milestone birthday (30th) that would take place in the next year. I decided that I wanted to do something big for my birthday – something just for me. It was then that I decided that I would do my first figure competition. I checked the website for NPC shows in AZ and discovered that my 30th birthday would take place 6 days before the NPC AZ Open competition. There it was – right before me – the ultimate challenge.  I would have to transform not only my body, but my heart and mind in order to step on stage but I decided that I was ready to make the change.

When I stepped on stage that day in July, I was a new woman. I had made a physical, mental, and psychological transformation. I made the decision to become a better me and I have never looked back.


So to those that are struggling with becoming a healthier, happier version of yourself, I want to tell you that it’s possible. I am living proof that it is. I will not lie to you and say that it will be easy because it won’t. There will be those that doubt you…heck…you’ll doubt yourself but you have to keep pressing forward. You know that you desire & deserve better and you need to go out there & get it. 


I've invited Chelsea to write a post about her thoughts about the infamous marshmallow picture (our nickname for it) and I'll share that with you before the week ends! As you can see, we're not the same ladies we were 2 years ago!

NPC Terminator show, 7/16/11

Celebrating Chelsea's 40th birthday a few weeks ago

26 comments:

  1. I love this... you are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! You KNOW I think you're incredible too!

      T.

      Delete
  2. Wow. What a transformation. How inspiring. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are incredible. So inspiring. I loved reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! The picture makes me cringe but it's the truth & you can't hide from the truth :)

      T.

      Delete
  4. i know ive said this before,but T,you are such an amazing woman!
    i love this post and the strenghth and inspiration it brings!
    you are a rock star!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa! I feel the same way about you!! You inspire and motivate me!

      T.

      Delete
  5. I look like a white marshmellow and I call that the Kenny SAMMICH picture! I had such a great time that night and talked to much, I forgot to eat AND I loved your green eye shadow...ha ha ha! We've come a L-O-N-G way my friend! Stay tuned and I will send you my post in a bit for other to read. Love ya T!!! XOXOXOXO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have definitely come a L-O-N-G way!! Thanks for being there with your positive attitude, humor, and support!

      Love ya back!

      T.

      Delete
  6. what an amazing and inspirational story girl! You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. My pleasure! It was a bit scary but definitely a part of my life I wanted & needed to share!

      T.

      Delete
  8. You are so amazing T! Sometimes when I read other blog posts or even write my own, I feel like a lot of people don't quite understand what its like to be BIG and struggle with food to comfort emotions. I'm so proud of you for taking that insecurity under the reigns! Lord knows it ain't easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lacey!! The struggle is still there at times but I'm better equipped to deal with it now. Don't get me wrong - I still want to eat a box of Zebra Cakes every once in awhile but I know I can have one & be done :)

      T.

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing this - it is just what I needed to read today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've come a long way baby! And I know you will continue on for a long ways. So happy to be able to follow your journey. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long road but I'm so happy that I left all of that behind me & made a change for the better! Thanks for following my crazy journey!

      T.

      Delete
  11. Wow! what a change. How long between making that decision and the competition? I am only going on my 6th week of weight lifting, but its my milestone 40th bday pushing for a great finish!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a firm decision in December 2009 to compete, started training & dieting in January 2010, and stepped on stage in July.

      It was definitely tough but soooooo worth it!

      Keep pushing for that great finish!!!

      T.

      Delete
  12. That's amazing! How cool that you two gals could be there for each other thru your transformations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely lucky to have friends like Chelsea! She means the world me and I really value her friendship!

      T.

      Delete
  13. This just proves how awesome you are. I've been there, done that, struggled too and hated myself. Never going back now that I've had a taste of the better life! I'm so super proud of you and I love how you opened up and shared your story. I think some people just think we've always been trim and fit, so it's nice to read about other peoples journey's too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right - we're never going back!!! We've made the commitment to be healthy & we have to stick by it! :)

      T.

      Delete